Go Back   INSIDE Two Worlds > English speaking forums > Two Worlds 2 - News / Game Info

Two Worlds 2 - News / Game Info Successor of Two Worlds, formerly known as The Temptation

TW2 - Update 1.3 available
Unread 7. September 2011, 12:10   #1
UnKnOwN
Inside Operations
Preferred Modding Member
Member of Staff
Member Level 6
Points: 13,124, Level: 95 Points: 13,124, Level: 95 Points: 13,124, Level: 95
Activity: 99.7% Activity: 99.7% Activity: 99.7%
500 Experience Points1000 Experience Points5000 Experience Points10000 Experience PointsThree Friends

News EN TW2 - Update 1.3 available

Quote:
1.3 patch:

- Summoned monsters AI has been improved,
- Hero will no longer accelerate unnaturally when sprinting downhill,
- Enemies will now properly navigate around campfires,
- Village shops will now properly generate Necromancer items,
- Pathfinding of Steria (New Ashos) improved, so she wil not get stuck,
- Trampling mobs in towns will be properly recognized as a crime by the guards,
- Casting incantations are now randomly played with reduced frequency,
- Falling damage reduction spell has been improved,
- Jump Strike will now perform even when activated during a series of regular attacks,
- Empty spells are no longer marked as invalid,
- Arming during sprint will not stop the character when he is running,
- Font display in the Crafting Menu improved,
- Boat position is now marked on the map (does not apply to Xbox),
- Enemy spells have been improved,
- Display with magically created physical objects (e.g.: stones) improved,
- Knocked down units will no longer be sucked in by their own Tornado effect,
- Improved torch flame,
- Footprints on sand were added,
- If you jump out of a sailing boat, the boat will no longer continue to float away,
- You can now turn on looting animation at all times (instead of only when you're overloaded) in the settings menu,
- Physic based spells will not deal damage to friendly units anymore,
- PvP arenas now cleared after one of the players is killed,
- Positive homing missile spell will not target enemy unit anymore,
- The creation of spells with no effect cards is not possible anymore,
- Shopkeeper are always able to generate new wares,
- Display of gold piles laying on the ground improved,
- Fixed a rare occasion when the gate would be locked but had a regular 'open' icon,
- Display glitch when drinking a potion while looting has been removed,
- The hero will abort looting if attacked,
- Removed the rare occasion when the boat could damage hero upon disembarking,
- Mana and Health regeneration potions have been changed (their strength has been greatly reduced),
- A glitch was removed which caused the hero to hung occasionally when fighting with two-handed sword,
- Improved the 'dismantle' option on pads to reduce the possibility of accidental destruction of items,
- Break lock chance (using weapon) has been reduced. If the weapon breaks you receive its equipment parts,
- Waves properly rendered for DX10 ATI,
- When using Mana Shield, mana regenerates 3 times slower,
- Improved entering of interiors while having many summoned units with you,
- Display of comparing bow statistics improved,
- The formula for spell damage has been changed - spells will do less damage on higher Willpower levels,
- Improved Missile+Trap+Missile spell,
- Ricochet card cannot cause a missile to home in on subsequent targets anymore -although the homing card was not used or not applicable,
- Several terrain issues improved,
- Improved enemy pathfinding,
- Improved enemy combat AI,
- Improved several monster animations,
- Annihiated a rare species of Ants which were occasionally dealing triple damage,
- Some slowdowns after entering areas removed,
- Summoned monsters have been weakened in Duel and Death Match modes (multiplayer),
- It is now possible to customize safe area size,
- Atmosphere switching smoothened when changing locations,
- Player level (displayed on other players) will now be properly updated in multiplayer,
- New dagger stats will now be properly compared with equipped dagger instead of the weapon,
- PC - Added support for 3D - there are two available modes. Here is a detailed description of what you need to do on PC depending on your hardware and selected mode:
- "vendor specific stereoscopic" mode:
- NVIDIA:
- you must install NVIDIA 3dTVPlay (14 day free trial, after that you have to pay for it), navigate to NVIDIA control panel and enable 3d. You can do this only when:
1) your drivers are 280.xx or never,
2) you have only one 3d tv connected to your computer. If you have both a 3d tv and a monitor connected the 3d cannot be turned on. If you have more than one graphics card and your SLI is turned OFF, the 3d tv can be connected only to the first of them - otherwise it won't work. Again, if you have a monitor connected to the other card it won't work.
- 3D works on all 8600 and up NVIDIA cards,
- your 3d tv must be listed on the NVIDIA website - it won't work on other models,
- ATI:
- your drivers must be 11.3 or never,
- it works with any 3d tv,
- the tv can be connected in any way you like it but it must be a HDMI or DVI-2-HDMI connection,
- you can connect other monitors to your machine,
- if you have two graphics cards you have to disable the crossfire - the 3D won't work with that,
- "framepacked stereo " mode:
- choose the native tv resolution (usually 1920x1080),
- press the 3D button on your remote control and select the "top-bottom frame packed mode" (the name may vary depending on your tv model),
- play using the pad or software cursor - hardware mouse cursor will not work,
- works with any 3D tv, with any additional monitors connected whatever you like, SLI or no SLI, crossfire or no crossfire.

Last edited by UnKnOwN; 7. September 2011 at 15:18..
UnKnOwN ist offline   Reply With Quote

Re: TW2 - Update 1.3 available
Unread 8. September 2011, 07:48   #2
youngneil1Posting Award
Preferred Modding Member
Member Level 4
Points: 6,651, Level: 78 Points: 6,651, Level: 78 Points: 6,651, Level: 78
Activity: 50.0% Activity: 50.0% Activity: 50.0%
500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience PointsTagger First ClassTagger Second Class

WOW! Big gratz to Reality Pump on the release of this brilliant monster of a patch.

That's a more than impressive list, tackling many issues we discussed here for a long time. It's a great commitment of the devs and much appreciated. I am really curious how everything works out now... enemy AI improved both combat and pathfinding, changes to potions, 3d vision support, all those atmospheric enhancements... Antaloor count me in again .

I am also a little afraid though how much work it will be updating mods, gulp... let's see which files are affected...
youngneil1 ist offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 8. September 2011, 14:16   #3
youngneil1Posting Award
Preferred Modding Member
Member Level 4
500 Experience Points250 Experience Points100 Experience PointsTagger First ClassTagger Second Class

It's very nice to have shadows working now in stereo 3d - also it's cool and quite unique that GUI elements can actually be adjusted separately, which prevents other objects conflicting with them (like characters close to the screen who would otherwise pop out).

What is limting so far is that only quite a low stereo 3d effect can be applied. The depth slider is locked at 50/50 and the point of convergence cannot be moved (neither by ingame options nor by using nvidias 3d vision driver).

Is there a way to
1) increase the maximum depth over 50 (like modifying some ini. file or a registry entry or have the nvidia d3 vision driver take precedence)
2) unlock convergence so that the sweet spot for popout can be moved, like by adjusting it via nvidia 3d viison driver?

I am playing a 23 inch samsung 2233rz, which I usually set to much higher separation (atm it is just about the thickness of my thumb at max) with a convergence point deeper into the screen, i.e. with more popout.

Any feedback would be very welcome.

Odp: TW2 - Update 1.3 available
Unread 8. September 2011, 15:39   #4
Olorum
Reality Pump
Points: 106, Level: 3 Points: 106, Level: 3 Points: 106, Level: 3
Activity: 99.0% Activity: 99.0% Activity: 99.0%
100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Odp: TW2 - Update 1.3 available

Thank you for warm welcome to new patch It's great for us to know that you appreciate our work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngneil1 View Post
Is there a way to
1) increase the maximum depth over 50 (like modifying some ini. file or a registry entry or have the nvidia d3 vision driver take precedence)
2) unlock convergence so that the sweet spot for popout can be moved, like by adjusting it via nvidia 3d viison driver?
Focal len (sweet spot) can be changed by:

Engine.SteroFocal 128

Default is set on 128. It mean that everything what is to 128 is "in front of". When you set e.g Engine.SteroFocal 200 more "stuff" will pop front

Range of sliders can be modified using an autoexec that I add in this post (put it in Two Worlds II/Parameters and change it extension from ".txt" to ".con")
Attached Files
File Type: txt autoexecGame2.txt (356 Bytes, 136 views)

Unread 8. September 2011, 16:57   #5
youngneil1Posting Award
Preferred Modding Member
Member Level 4

That's so cool, Olorum - thanks a heap for this insightful info! I can only test it later on, but once I can, I will give feedback. I will link this to the folks at the 3d vision forum of nvidia (user to user) as they will certainly appreciate it, too.

Unread 8. September 2011, 21:04   #6
titus206
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Activity: 4.2% Activity: 4.2% Activity: 4.2%

Thx for the info Olorum. I have the Steam version and don`t find "\parameters" where can i put the .con?
titus206 ist offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 9. September 2011, 01:27   #7
youngneil1Posting Award
Preferred Modding Member
Member Level 4

@titus

Just create a new folder "Parameters" directly inside your two worlds 2 install directory (on the same level as the directories sound data, wd files or video).

Unread 9. September 2011, 02:54   #8
youngneil1Posting Award
Preferred Modding Member
Member Level 4

So, I had the opportunity to play with the stereo 3d settigns a little - very nice!

First thing to notice is that this is a reversed approach, very interesting. Most games go for deep in screen depth, with some popout beyond the convergence point. In TW2 actually everything is popout, with the zero level (convergence point) being the element the farthest away from you (like skybox, which actually migth be 2d with no z coordinates anyway).

This is made possibel by moving the nomral hud elements towards the user, too, i.e. increasing their popout.

This works very fine - skybox appears now to be perfectly far away, shadows work fine, crosshairs for targets and bow aiming appear very nicely at target level/between the archer and the target...

The popout is less noticebale though as right now there is no turn around and orientation point (convergence point usually around hud level, aka windshield). I guess it's helpful for the 3d illusion to have elements before and after the convergence point.

There are some interface related bugs/drawbacks right now:
1) the transparent action bar at the bottom of the screen is rendered incorrectly - its see through effect (breaking the light like glass) appears only for one eye, leading to a distorted picture. Or perhaps it's a reflection of the left eye picture of e.g. the hero within the transparent bar, where it should reflect not the left eye picture of the hero, but the combined left+right eye picture of the hero, i.e. the middle position. Paraphrased: I see the reflection of the left double image of the hero in the action bar and other transparent hud elements.
2) the HUD is not perfectly centered - the minimap reaches the edge of the screen faster than the life orb when increasing interface popout, i.e. moving it towards the user; this has the drawback that less depth is possible as you can't move the hud as far as you should be able without breaking it; with the hud closer you also can't give the game screen more popout as the hero and other elements would otherwise collide with the hud
3) the mouse pointer appears displaced because it's rendered at convergence point while the whole world is rendered before it (every object "blocks" the mosue cursor leading to a double image of the mouse cursor)

Tinkering with the values did - perhaps - show some other oddity:

Depending on your settings, shadows tend to break. I think there is some necessary relation between "settings.StereoSeparationMax" and "engine.StereoFocal":

"engine.StereoFocal" should be at least 213.33 times larger than "settings.StereoSeparationMax".

Too late here for further tests - I wonder if negative values could reverse it all to "normal" model, with some convergence point near the user and most of the scene behind it. Problems would be shadows and most certainly skybox, I fear. Advantage might be more overall depth expression while at the same time no collision with the hud.

Feel free to chime in.

Last edited by youngneil1; 9. September 2011 at 10:42..

Unread 9. September 2011, 02:59   #9
youngneil1Posting Award
Preferred Modding Member
Member Level 4

Ah, almost forgot - I like these settings so far:

settings.StereoSeparationDef 0.75
settings.StereoSeparationMin 0.0
settings.StereoSeparationMax 4.5

settings.GUIStereoSeparationDef -0.015
settings.GUIStereoSeparationMin -0.16
settings.GUIStereoSeparationMax 0.0

engine.StereoFocal 960

Sliders ingame options:

3d separation 12/50
GUI 3d separation 21/50

Unread 9. September 2011, 10:00   #10
titus206
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Activity: 4.2% Activity: 4.2% Activity: 4.2%

@youngneil1

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by titus206; 9. September 2011 at 10:24..
titus206 ist offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 9. September 2011, 18:33   #11
zOmbi
Preferred Modding Member
Tagger Second Class

In the patch as well as can be seen doing something similar to protect from hacks online unfortunately not already found one hole
zOmbi ist offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 9. September 2011, 19:44   #12
Mabelrode
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%

Will the 3D option remain in the expansion?
Mabelrode ist offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10. September 2011, 22:38   #13
CamRaiD
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%

Smile Re: TW2 - Update 1.3 available

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngneil1 View Post

Too late here for further tests - I wonder if negative values could reverse it all to "normal" model, with some convergence point near the user and most of the scene behind it. Problems would be shadows and most certainly skybox, I fear. Advantage might be more overall depth expression while at the same time no collision with the hud.

Feel free to chime in.
Hey there,

I was concerned about what you said about having large depth, and the shadows breaking as a result.

I was wanting to know what you are aiming for in your settings. Ie. how much depth, where your character lies in the screen, and how much overall pop-out.

Cheers,
CamRaiD ist offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10. September 2011, 23:04   #14
youngneil1Posting Award
Preferred Modding Member
Member Level 4

Hey Camraid,

weclome over here at insidetwoworlds! I am still trying to find a an optimum. The current solution of Reality Pump is rather cool already: it's fast (fps wise), has perfect skybox and shadows (when certain relations are kept), is all pop out (theoretically) and has separately adjustable hud/gui, which is rather unique I think.

It also has some drawbacks though: mouse pointer breaks over any hud/gui element (probably designed with using a game controller in mind), no mix of in screen depth and popout (i.e. no crossing/ visible convergence point), perceived depth (=popout in this case) is limited by the hud/gui, which could be a bit better centered (on my 23 inch screen that is) and therwith allow even more overall popout. Also some transparent hud elements seem to have a slight bug.

So I tried to play a little with it and moved the focal point/convergence point closer to the viewer, which works out nicely. I had the the hope to bring the hud to mouse cursor level (windshield), with some poout of swords, brnaches, close up zoom and much depth into the other direction. I play most games with 75% to 100% depth, so I am a little spoiled here. It has indeed the big time drawback though that shadows become very messed up.

I just used "some_dude"'s FXAA solution for creating fast AA in TW2 and it works like a charm. Very recommended. Let's see if these alternative DLL/shaders (?) have an effect on the stereo 3d situation.

Unread 11. September 2011, 13:48   #15
youngneil1Posting Award
Preferred Modding Member
Member Level 4

These stereo 3d settings in autoexec2.con I really like:

settings.StereoSeparationDef 1.5
settings.StereoSeparationMax 9
engine.StereoFocal 1920

Additionally in the ingame graphic options menu I used the following:

Separation 6/50
GUI/HUD Separation 21/50

Now lets hope we find a way to get the mouse cursor separation aligned to the hud/gui separation...

Odp: Re: TW2 - Update 1.3 available
Unread 12. September 2011, 11:00   #16
Olorum
Reality Pump
Points: 106, Level: 3 Points: 106, Level: 3 Points: 106, Level: 3
Activity: 99.0% Activity: 99.0% Activity: 99.0%
100 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Odp: Re: TW2 - Update 1.3 available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabelrode View Post
Will the 3D option remain in the expansion?
Yes
Olorum ist offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12. September 2011, 11:11   #17
youngneil1Posting Award
Preferred Modding Member
Member Level 4

As I wrote in the All in one compilataion thread already, I have really fallen in love with this 3d implementation. As an update to to my above post ehre are my actual settings which work out really immersively:

"Last but not even close to least, patch 1.3 has introduced some very impressive stereo 3d. Start Two Worlds 2 from the main menu using the Two Worlds 2 3d option (or placing by hand the -adapter parameter behind the dx10 exe, like when using steam). Thanks to Olorum from RP we have learned some tweaks in order to customize the mind blowing 3d stereo experience. The commands below are what I use in my autoexec2.con (with Nvidia 3d Vision, a 23 inch screen, res. 1680 * 1050):

*updated settings, v2*

engine.StereoFocal 19200

// Yes, that's staggering 19200, no misprinting

// And in the ingame menu:
// safezone on
// Separation 12/50
// GUI/HUD separation 29/50

Watch Antaloor come to life as you never did before... This stereo 3d implementation is something different than i am used to from other games (all popout instead of indepth/popout mix) and I am liking it more with every hour that passes. It's totally immersive. I just had to learn not to overdo it, so that the mind can grasp what the eyes see. The gui/hud now hovers about half an underarm's length out of my screen, roughly at the beginning of my upper keyboard border. When I stretch my arm I am utterly surprised that I can do this seemingly forever, delving into what should be solid monitor glass, but surprisingly isn't. It has liquified. No drugs involved folks - try it."

Unread 12. September 2011, 22:37   #18
youngneil1Posting Award
Preferred Modding Member
Member Level 4

What a beautiful game - it looked never as magnificient as with patch 1.3, dx10, FXAA by "some_dude" and stereo 3d. And all of this with superb performance at 60 fps most of the time, never below 30 fps. Hands down one of, if not even the best looking games I have seen when all of these are used together... and I have seen rather many games, I dare say...

About the 3d model I made some assumptions on the 3d vision board:

"Yes, "only" popout. But some rethinking is in order that I had to undergo myself, too: Distant objects appear very distant with this solution,too. It's all about relative difference to the foreground objects. Now the separation itself is low, but because all this separation is on the popout side of things, it has an immense spacial/depth effect.

I don't talk about extra little icing by a sword or shoulder pad pooping out. This implemenation means great overall depth by popout.

I think that separation has different effect strengths depending on whether it happens beyond or before convergence point. One centimeter of separation between left and right image on the popout side is like 3 centimeters on the other side.

And furthermore: The whole stereo model of this game is V-shaped (convergence point at the bottom where the sky is, all popout), while traditonally games have an X-shape. The trick here is that moving the bottom of the V further down doesn't make its top ends more separated. We can change the angle of the lines instead. In many X-shaped models I know we could just move the central crossing point using the same angle of lines. This resulted in a tied change of separation distance.

I think the most important thing for depth is how many layers exist(or paraphrased: how long the lines of the V/X actually are). Trying to reach long lines with high separation has its limits: after a certain separation level watching becomes strenouous and ultimately is not possible anymore. In TW2 with these console commands the length of the lines can be scaled rather fluently by moving engine stereo.focal (ie the convergence point)further back while maintaining the same end separation, in other words: we are allowed to reduce the angle and lenghten the line. Our lines will reach the same separation point in the end, but they will do so at a smaller angle, which allows more line length and therewith layers of depth.

Separation distance and angle are untied here. Allowing for depth without eye strain and with minimal ghosting at all.

Who knows.. perhaps it all works out differently. But what I know for sure is, that stereo 3d in TW2 with above settings is very impressive. Don't miss out on it. An eye opener is to stretch your hand towards the screen - how far can you grab into things? You will be amazed..."

Still keeps amazing me... here's the link to said 3d vision forum, just in case:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s...c=209624&st=20

Unread 14. September 2011, 02:30   #19
youngneil1Posting Award
Preferred Modding Member
Member Level 4

So, two nice solutions for my few remaining stereo 3d gripes:

1) Mouse cursor on hud/gui level: disable hardware mouse cursor in the ingame options menu, also disable vsync. This gives a nice only minimally more laggy mouse cursor always aligned to the hud.

2) Interface preventing even deeper 3d: I modded the minimap out. This allows for hud/gui popout basically as far as you like.

Using these two tricks I have come to these new settings:

*updated settings, v2*

engine.StereoFocal 19200

// Yes, that's staggering 19200, no misprinting

// safezone on
// Separation 15/50
// GUI/HUD separation 15/50

Unread 15. September 2011, 23:04   #20
Asgard
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Activity: 6.3% Activity: 6.3% Activity: 6.3%

// safezone on
// Separation 15/50
// GUI/HUD separation 15/50[/QUOTE]

Where I can find these settings? I cannot find those in the menus. And how to turn 3d on? I cannot find anything related to 3d in the menus.
Asgard ist offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tw2, two worlds 2, update